Danielle

The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Rae Carson
Prep School Confidential
Kara Taylor
When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach
Never Too Far
Abbi Glines
The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.3)
Sarah J. Maas
Pushing the Limits
A Little Too Far
Lisa Desrochers

The Bane

The Bane  - Keary Taylor Crossposted on my blog What Danielle Did Next Heads Up: I recieved this ARC from the publisher to review. I was really psyched to review this book. I had bought a copy of Eden last year but my TBR list was overwhelming so when I read on Keary’s website that the plot and story had been reworked to become a trilogy I figured now was the perfect time to get my teeth into the story.I’m a big fan of the cautionary tale of machines becoming more powerful than their masters. As a person who before rubbing the sleep out of her eyes reaches for her iPhone first thing in the morning, it’s a lesson I need to be taught often! I’m a huge fan of the Terminator and Battlestar Galactica series so when I found a book billed as “The Terminator meets The Walking Dead with a heart-twisting romance” I was like an excitable puppy rolling on my back begging my tummy to be rubbed and I was not disappointed! :)Taylor drops us right in the action as we meet Eve, a 17year old orphan, helplessly watching as a close friend is put to death by his own family as he’s been infected by the insidious “Bane”. The Bane are former humans who have been infected by a cybernetic virus, once considered a blessed miracle in the fight against disease and illness that turned on it’s hosts and mercilessly overtook them. 98% of the population has been infected and humanity is struggling for survival not just against The Bane but illness, poverty and hunger.Eve is a member of a community called Eden, a close rag-tag group who have found a way to create an oasis amongst chaos. At age 13, Eve was found wandering in the forest, naked and covered in blood with no memory of her life before “The Evolution” by Avian and Gabriel, leaders of the Eden community. She quickly becomes a vital member of the group, faster, stronger and capable of protecting the group despite her mysterious origins. When an enigmatic young man called “West” wanders into her life, Eve realises that he may hold the key to her past and her future…The Bane is a fast-paced, action filled story that kept me interested from the get-go. Eve is a compelling character who’s story unfolds before her eyes at the same time as ours. She garners the sympathy of the reader with her innocence and purity of intent. She is loyal and unfalteringly strong in her conviction that the safety of those around her is more of a priority than her own. At no time though does she become a “Mary-Sue”. Taylor does well to create a character that is “real in an un-real” world.The secondary characters of Avian and West are both immediately likable. Avian, the strong, dependable and loyal friend to Eve and West, the mysterious, passionate and fierce stranger who awakens Eve to a world of possibilities. There is of course a love triangle (Hello, required!) and strangely I rooted for both, torn between which would be the better choice until Eve finally makes her decision and it all makes sense. “He” was the right choice all along.As the story unfolds you can definitely see the potential for a further story however the ending is left quite “finite” in a way so I’m looking forward to picking up the story in the summer and seeing what is next for Eve and her friends.