Danielle

The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Rae Carson
Prep School Confidential
Kara Taylor
When the World Was Flat (and we were in love)
Ingrid Jonach
Never Too Far
Abbi Glines
The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.3)
Sarah J. Maas
Pushing the Limits
A Little Too Far
Lisa Desrochers
Broken Faith (Spiritual Discord, #1) - Brandy Nacole Crossposted at What Danielle Did NextRating: 3.5 StarsI'm a big fan of Angel stories. Heaven and Hell intrigues me so much, it's pretty much an insta-buy if I see it on the cover so I was delighted to be accepted to review Brandy Nacole's new series "Spiritual Discord" of which Broken Faith is part one. I'm going to say straight off one of the things I loved most about this book was the lack of a love triangle. Yes there were hints of one that inwardly made me groan but I realised quickly that it was actually just normal reactions and feelings to good looking men and women that were quickly brushed aside for the more pressing matters at hand like...life and death. Thumbs up already. The story is told from multiple POV's but the majority by three characters. Sabrina, a vampire who was turned in the 1800's, Falon, a fallen angel who turned his allegiance to Lucifer and became a Hell-Hound, the feared and ruthless hunters of blood-children -half bloods of Lucifer's original kin and Emma, a normal human college student struggling to make ends meet who is pulled into a struggle between heaven and hell. The story centres around Kayson, a fallen Angel who is being hunted by Falon and is helped by Sabrina and Emma, keeping him safe from his hunters after he is gravely wounded by one of Falon's brethren. Sabrina, a vampire who has struggled for years against her base nature to kill and drain humans, again goes against her initial fear of Angels and heaven and helps Kayson when she comes across him whilst trying to survive on animal blood and hiding from humans. Their relationship from the start was warming and sweet as Sabrina struggles to understand Kayson, why he made the decision to fall and why she herself stays with him despite the danger she is risking to herself. Falon, the Alpha comes across initially as simply the Big-Bad without much depth but as the story unfolds and Kayson drops hints as to his relationship with Falon, we realise how much more complex he is and by the end of the story I was drawn in and look forward to finding out more about him in book two. Emma, a sweet college student who was forced to put her dreams of being a dancer on hold after her brother betrays the family and cleans out her bank account, is simply trying to get by. Fitting in college with a part-time job, hanging out with best friends Briston and Braylee, she has no idea of the danger she finds herself in when she literally stumbles across Sabrina and Kayson hiding from their enemies. Their dynamic was one of my favourite parts of the book as Sabrina and Emma butt heads over how best to keep Kayson safe whilst making plans for their survival. At times it feels that there are too many secondary characters lurking around that don't really need to be there. Perhaps they play a bigger role in the subsequent books but it was frustrating to try and keep track of them. There was also an ease of acceptance for the bizarre situation they all found themselves in at the end which wasn't very believable and detracted from the core story. For me the relationship between Sabrina, Kayson and Emma (and Briston) was the best and most enjoyable part of the plot. I did feel that perhaps it needed a bit more editing. This was due to the pacing of the book, I felt it flowed very well except there seemed at times to be more waiting around to do things rather than actually doing them and it was a relief when the mission finally got under-way. There were some typos and formatting issues however it's an ARC so I would never detract "points" for that. One part of the book that I fervently hope will be explored in more detail in later books was the information gleaned by Sabrina when she has to perform a coercive technique on some of the characters. There were hidden details from their past brought up that I hope was done so for a reason, possible in relation to the Hell Hounds. I found the back story of Heaven and Hell really interesting and loved Sabrina's past and Kayson's reasons behind his fall. All in all I thought it was a great story, well thought out, setting up for a great sequel in particular in relation to Emma whose final chapter gave me chills and I await more in great anticipation.